shabby background

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

 
This is a recipe I came up with by combining 3-4 recipes I have found for Chicken Tortilla Soup. I made it this week and it was really good so I thought I'd share.
 
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken or veggie broth
2 cups water
1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
2 (15 oz) cans Rotel Original
3 chicken breasts cooked and shredded (my sis recommends using a rotissere chicken, especially if you are short on time.)
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
1 medium diced onion
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
(I have added 10 oz of enchilada sauce before, but I left it out this time)
 
This turns out pretty spicy. If you don't like spice, I recommend cutting out the chopped chiles, or maybe cut the rotel down to only 1 can, or use Rotel Mild. Or you could cut out the cayenne pepper. Also, you could add more water or broth.
 
Add all ingredients and cook on low for about 1 hour. Top with shredded cheese or tortilla strips if desired or any other garnish that sounds delish.
I served this with my mom's mexican cornbread and it was great! Maybe I'll add that recipe to the blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment